A self-satirical train wreck that you can witness word by word...

And for those who doubt my son Armand Bovoso, indeed he is part Black. I'm Black and Italian. Armand is Black, italian, and Ukranian Jewish. Send me an email if you can't accept this.



The Pigeon Drop


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



This is so embarrassing I couldn't even write about it until now. A few weeks ago I was out shopping for food with my youngest, Mario. I pulled into the Ralphs parking lot where I was flagged down by a man, and who I assume was his son, in another car. He asks if I'm interested in buying a video camera. He then produces a brand new Sony mini DV camera. I should state that I've been drooling over such a purchase for many years now.

Somehow it's always been just out of my reach.

Being from NYC I'm used to being offered merchandise that has apparently "just fell off the truck." The guy with the camera seemed a little nervous so I just assumed that he wanted to get the money and run. We haggled to a price of $120. I asked him to wait while I went inside to the ATM. I took Mario and rushed inside of Ralphs where I was able make my withdrawal. I hurried back outside (now carrying Mario in my arms) fantasizing over the 1001 uses my new camera would net me. Mr. Camera Guy was patient enough to wait for me. I ask to see the camera one more time. He shows me the cables, the case, he ejects the tape, he shows me the onscreen menu. Everything is beautiful. With my free hand (remember I'm still holding Mario) I clumsily count out 120 dollars. I hand him the money and he hands me back the camera in the case and takes off.

I think I had just opened the car door to place Mario down when I opened up my new gift. Instantaneously a cartoon lolly-pop appeared over my head with the works "SUCKER" written in bold type on it. I had been had by the oldest scam in the book. The Pigeon Drop. Want to see what my $120 got me? Take a look.



Oh it's a camera alright. A film camera, although I can't seem to find out how to take a picture with it or load film. Oh, and it's also a radio. My only consolation is that there has to be a special place in hell for the man in China responsible for manufacturing these knock offs.

P.T. Barnum wasn't kidding when he said the immortal words, "There's sucker born every minute." Guess I'm a born again sucker.


1 Responses to “The Pigeon Drop”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    oh man. i giggled at that. how do you manage to get yourself into situations of this nature? and still you remain at the peak of humor. i tell ya, i should take lessons from you. i am now addicted to your blog, btw. expect many a comment on anything that strikes my fancy.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3