A self-satirical train wreck that you can witness word by word...

And for those who doubt my son Armand Bovoso, indeed he is part Black. I'm Black and Italian. Armand is Black, italian, and Ukranian Jewish. Send me an email if you can't accept this.



Injury at the Dojo


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Wednesday night one of our new students suffered a very serious injury at the dojo. There was no negligence on anyone's part it was just simply one of those freak accidents. David Klein, who is also a member of this list long before he began training with us, suffered a broken Tibia and Fibia bone in his left leg. While attempting a throw his foot became stuck and his uke landed directly on his calf causing both bones to fracture and his tibia to break through his skin. This was a very horrific experience but I was very glad that I was in a room full of martial artists. As I attended to David to see how bad things were most students kept on training as I've taught them to do when there is any kind of injury in the dojo. The philosophy of there being too many cooks and giving people something to do. Also I maintain a philosophy of students staying in action in the midst of fallen friends as turning to suddenly help someone in a real situation can wind up with both people dead. Defend yourself first. We keep the job to the sensei and the training partner to look after the injured party. This however was a case where the injury was so serious I needed every single person to help in one way or another. Total focus was needed in the dojo. I immediately began reiki and I knelt down next to him and asked one student to call 911. I had another student go and get my emergency procedures manual (Every teacher should have one of these handy. The one I use is from here: http://aikidofaq.com/health/emergency.html). I had another student come over and perform more reiki as I did my best to comfort David. I then had someone get wet paper towels, another to get cleaning supplies out and ready as the mat was collecting large amounts of blood. 3 more students went out and stood on the corners to flag the ambulance down. I also had yet another person check on David's uke who I knew would be distraught over the event. The paramedics finally came after what felt like an eternity (it was probably no more than 10 minutes though) and I rode with them and David to the hospital. To shorten the story, we stayed with him in the emergency room and sent someone to pick up his grandmother who wanted to be there with him. David went into surgery this afternoon and was told by the doctor that he will make a full recovery.

As for David, he was in about as much pain as I've ever seen anyone in my life. Just the same one of his first concerns was that he wouldn't be able to train. I told him that I could teach him in a wheel chair if he needed. He was very relieved to hear this. He even told me that not for nothing but his uke better damn well pass his black belt test he had coming up on Sunday. That was too funny at the time.

I was so impressed by David's spirit. Here is a student who had only been in 3 classes up to this point. He had just moved in from out of town and hadn't even started a new job yet. Laying in the emergency room he had every reason to lash out. Instead he started up a conversation that allowed us to get to know each other better. We exchanged stories about cooking and good sake, and beer. We even talked about training.

He's in for a 9 month full recovery of his leg and will be out of the hospital by Sunday. The surgeon told him that the operation was a complete success and that he will have no problem with the leg.

I spent a good part of today interfacing with the hospital and my insurance companies to make sure that David never sees a bill. I really learned the importance of having a insurance that not only covers liability but also covers medical bills as well. If there the hospital bill surpasses my insured limit I will be holding a fundraiser to cover the rest of the cost.

For any of you that are healers please send your prayers and healing to David. I will continue to hold him in my consciousness and send him reiki as well.


0 Responses to “Injury at the Dojo”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3